Pages

Thursday, May 14, 2015

Painting Tips and Techniques: Links and Topics

When I was an art student, there were times when I felt frustrated by a lack of specific information. This frustration led me to comb the internets for my own questions and answers. However, even that was frustrating. Sometimes I didn't know the right question to ask, and answers I did find were usually strewn over multiple sites.

And so, in order to help you avoid the same time-consuming, frustrating searches, below is a list of topics, organized into primary subjects, so that both you and I may have the information we need all in one place.

Note: I will be linking each post back to this main idea page as I complete each topic. If there are topics not covered here that you would like to know more about, leave a comment and I will see what I can do.

Paint






Brushes 



Indirect: Underdrawing

Indirect: Underpainting and Dead Color

Indirect: Overpainting

Indirect: Glazing, true glazing vs color correcting

How to Correct Dull, Sunken Colors: Oiling Out Vs Creating a Couch



How and When to Varnish

How to paint Convincing Shadows: painting the colors that you can't see 


Flesh Tones: Warm and Cool

What you need in order to copy an Old Master or Modern Work

Color Theory 

Hue vs  Color vs Tint vs Shade: What they are and How to make them

A small caveat: There are differing opinions all over the internet about each of these topics. The opinion I am putting forth is my own, but only after extensive research. I normally only decide what to write on a topic after I have found two or three agreeing opinions that stand out from all of the differing ones and I will be citing them when possible. 

1 comment: