Pages

Tuesday, June 23, 2015

Cleaning your Paint Brushes with Turpenoid

Cleaning your paint brushes after every painting session is important for the life and health of both your paint brushes and wallet. In order to clean your brushes you will need to make three purchases:  turpenoid, two cleaning jars, and cleaning soap.

Types of Turpenoid: 

Note: I will be going over the uses of turpenoid (or mineral spirits) in my post about painting mediums, but for now I will just be focusing on how to use it while cleaning. 

You can purchase several different types of odorless turpenoid or odorless mineral spirits. Most artists recommend that you shy away from straight turpentine as it leaves an unwanted residue which can crack the paint. It also smells, strongly.  

Turpentines: Always go odorless, but that doesn't mean they are not toxic. They are.  

Gamblin's Gamsol or Mineral Spirits: Gamsol is the highest quality spirit and is quite a lot safer too. It is, sadly, expensive. However, if you don't use a lot then it can go a long way. You can read more here.

Citrus Solvents: Are a non-toxic, citrus based, biodegradable, turpenoid-like product. So you can have your turpenoid and eat it to!

Going odorless is the best. However, do not think that just because you can't smell it that it isn't putting off harmful gases. All turpenoids are extremely toxic and are to be used only in a well ventilated room.


Types of Cleaning Jars: 




You will want to purchase two separate jars to use specifically for cleaning. You can either use a mason jar like I do, or purchase a special jar for brush cleaning. You will want two jars so that you can decant the good turpenoid and separate it from the used turpenoid. I will explain how and why in my next post

Types of Cleaning Soap: 

Dish Soap: Some people say that using dish soap is the most amazing, but I do not love it. I feel that even the expensive ones dry your brushes out and you go through it so fast that it can end up being expensive. Not to mention annoy your spouse when they go to do the dishes and it is all gone, again.

Pink Soap: I have never used it, but lots of people love it. The price is the reason I have not tried it.  

Masters Artist's Hand Soap: This is what I use to clean my brushes. I love it, it doesn't dry your brushes out, it won't dry out your hands, and it smells good. Technically Masters Artist's created their hand soap not to clean paint brushes, however it works so well and is so relatively inexpensive that I highly recommend it. 

Master's Brush Cleaner: They do have a very special brush cleaning scrub that is wonderful. At Michael's the scrub is very expensive, but at Dick Blick the price is half as much. Using the scrub every day is unnecessary. I will be explaining why in another post about preserving and rescuing dried out brushes. 

Other: 

I just discovered a brush cleaner that eliminates the need for soap and turpenoid. I may try this out, check it out here

Steps for Cleaning with Turpenoid: 

Step 1: When finished painting, remove excess paint off of the brush using a rag or paper towel. 

Step 2: Using your turpenoid, clean as much paint as possible off the brush by scrubbing it into your cleaning jar.

Step 3: In the sink, clean the rest of the paint off your brush using soap. 

Step 4: Allow brushes to dry upright in a holding jar. This will insure that the bristles maintain their shape for as long as possible.

For more about painting check out my main Tips and Techniques page.

No comments:

Post a Comment