Pages

Tuesday, June 2, 2015

Bear: Part 3 Cont.

I woke up this morning and walked into my painting room to stare at my bear for a little while. While thus staring a funny thought occurred to me about the difference in expression from one side of the bear's face to the other and I laughed. My friend Buddy will particularly appreciate this:

Christ, Monastery of Saint Catherine at Mount Sinai, 6th century



And no, the Christ of St. Catherine has not had a stroke (oh my, the sacrilege is running rampant today), he is showing two sides of the same face. One of compassion and mercy, and the other of judgement and condemnation. Okay, so the difference in my bear's face is not quiet so extreme, but I thought myself clever all the same.

If you would like to read more about the Christ of St. Catherine I recommend the site Alberti's Window. It is actually the art history site of my friend, Buddy, and it is really great. It is by far one of my favorite art history blogs.

1 comment:

  1. Ha ha! I love your compassionate yet judgmental bear! (Really, though, I don't see very big differences on either side.)

    And you are the best to link to AW. Thanks Buddy!

    ReplyDelete