Pages

Friday, January 22, 2016

Just Because: Color Perception Tests and Boredom

In college I had a professor who was just a weird dude. He considered himself a mark above the other professors in both talent and teaching ability (this was pathetically not true), and particularly considered his eyes to be "color experts." His color hubris was so strange to me. I mean, obviously everyone wants to have good eyes, and particularly as an artist you want to be able to discern color well. But what is the point of being better than everyone else, when literally no one would be able to see that you are?

Maybe I am just jealous. I do not have the best color perception. I mean it is good, like totally above acceptable, but I do have a hard time with green-blues. I know this because sometimes when I am looking at green-blues my eye balls go crazy, and there are also the scores I get on perception tests.

I got super bored today which means like any normal person I turned to color perception tests for entertainment. Obviously this is something everyone does, right?

Would you like to know how well you discern color? Now I don't mean like whether or not you are color blind, but whether or not you can "see" color correctly.

Below are some links that I highly recommend for testing your color perception. To take the test or game click on the title link below:

The Color Game 

During the game you have one minute to click on the different colored squares. As the game continues it increases in difficulty.

My highest score is 47, but I usually land in the high to mid 30s. But then there are those times when I barely make 20 because I get stuck on this bright, old school blue that I just can't see.














Farnsworth Munsell 100 Hue Test



This will tell you where you have a color deficiency. I do! I score three, always, on this test. Always in the same range of green-blues. Husband gets a perfect score of 0.

Fun Fact from the site: 1 out of 255 women and 1 out of 12 men have some form of color vision deficiency. I guess that means I am that 1. 

Color



This test also increases in difficulty, and as it goes it can sometimes be confusing as to which color you are controlling. I recommend taking more than one stab with this one. My highest score is 9.2, but I generally get around 8.9. 

So, what did numbers did you get? 

1 comment:

  1. I got a 26 on the first one, but I also blame it on my fat fingers. It's hard to push on those squares when they get smaller and smaller. J scored in the 30s on that one. He got a perfect score on the Hue Test. I haven't had the time to take it yet, but I want to!

    ReplyDelete